Best Retro Games for the iPhone and iPad in 2015-2016

Sonic the Hedgehog, Tetris and Asteroid Games for Your iPhone or iPad


Being an iPhone owner as well as an avid fan of nostalgic 80's and 90's video games, here nearing the end of 2015 and moving into 2016 but I thought I would give it a shot and see which of my favorite games are now available for the iPhone and iPad - and it turns out the very best of the best are there (with a few exceptions).

One thing was a disappointment for me - no Nintendo games (as of yet).  BUT - for those arcade-machine tenders of the past and Sega lovers, there are several famous favorite retro games to choose from...

4 Highly Rated and Low Cost Sonic the Hedgehog Games:


Original Sonic the Hedgehog Game

Of course there are other Sonic games, but this one brings back the most memories for me - and in my humble opinion, remains the best of 'em all.

The heroic hedgehog races to save the world as they know it - or at least the bunnies.  Race hard and fast, collect as many rings as you can, spin, bounce, leap - you know the drill.

The cost of this game is $4.99 on iTunes.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Game

Sonic became so popular from the first round, and I am soooo glad they released a second game - this time he is joined by his buddy "Tails" who helps him along his travels to undo the evil of Dr. Eggman.

One thing I love about this game on the iPhone - something that you could not do before is to "be" Knuckles in the game in addition to the other players.

This Sonic game - like the first - is getting amazing ratings for its graphics and "funnability."  =)

This follow-up of the original game is priced at $2.99 from iTunes.

Sonic CD Game

OK, I must admit that I never got to this one.  I think my young adulthood started overlapping into my "I'm too busy to play games" stage.

But - I wish at this point that I could go back in time and pick it up for my Sega - it has a wonderful theme, and I have every intention of getting it for my iPhone and iPad as well.

The theme - time stones are lying beneath a beautiful countryside - covering the world in a hardened, cold metal environment.  And another oddity - there are many times taking place all at the same time in this mysterious world.  Let's not forget Dr. Eggman - he is working his usual evil deeds to try to get to the time stones and be the "time god" over all.

This game is getting the most raves I have seen so far on iTunes - and has a cost of $2.99 to buy and download.

Sonic Dash Game

Unlike "CD," I have had the pleasure of playing this one.  The game is not one specifically against the evil Dr. Eggman - but fun nonetheless.

So many ways that Sonic can race!  Your job is to get him to go as fast as you can, over and under obstacles and always figuring out interesting challenges to keep him moving along and winning.

A nice diversion from the usual "Sonic thing."  =)

The cost of this game is... free!  About as low-cost as you can get, and it can be found at the iTunes store.




2 More Highly Rated Arcade Games for the iPhone and iPad


Oh the memories - going to the arcade and becoming mesmerized and more and more addicted to the games.  2 especially come to mind, and there were more people waiting in lines for them than any others...

Space Invaders for the iPhone and iPad

Yep, sitting at the table-game with my neck and head cocked downward - staying that way for quite some time.

One of the simplest concepts in games, you shoot at the alien ships who are moving closer and closer to you - and you gotta get 'em all before they move all the way down the screen and destroy you for your lame shooting skills (that happened to me a lot - haha!).

The cost of this game is $4.99 on iTunes.







Tetris Game for iPhone and iPad

Talk about addictive!  I spent hours and hours on this game on the computer - and got pretty gosh darned good at it too!

My trick - getting better and better at spotting matching shapes with the falling pieces and the "floor" at the bottom.  I guess that would be the "trick" for most people though, eh?

This version of Tetris holds all the best from the classic - but with improved graphics, colors and some other "new and improved" twists.

The cost of this game on iTunes is a whopping .99 cents.





Well, those are my absolute favorites - and I look forward to spending some of my break time and "me time" at home playing each and every one of them.